http://www.neckdiagrams.com/download

Thursday, May 31, 2012

DIATONIC WARM-UP

The warm up mapped out below is my attempt to get the work-out you get from the classic chromatic finger drills into a diatonic setting.

As I ranted before, there are a lot of chromatic finger workouts around, and to be fair they are probably a bit more intense than this, but I've never really been a fan of chromatic exercises.

Not because I don't think they work though.

If you have 6 hours a day to practice then it makes perfect sense to spend an hour or so on "finger press-ups."

But I, like most people, certainly anyone with a job, don't have 6 hours a day to practice. Whenever I have wanted to focus building finger strength or independence between fingers, I have always tried to do it with an exercise that was also a lick I might actually use in a solo or at least in a diatonic setting.

I have tabbed it out moving up and down the E and B strings, so if you follow the tab, you are giving your whole left hand a work out and practising moving a lick up the neck while staying in one key.

It also help you play around with three note per string patterns using only two notes per string at a time.

It's tabbed in D Minor for no other reason than it's quite easy to move it a full octave on most guitars.

I'd say pick it at first, then progress to using legato.

Enjoy!






CLICK HERE FOR A FULL LIST OF ALL THE FREE GUITAR RESOURCES ON MY BLOG!